An important initiative that provides students with not only a strong base of knowledge of H&S concepts, but a certificate from Minerva, will be up and running in December and in the hands of our future business and industrial leaders.
Minerva’s online H&S certificate program consisting of four six-hour online courses is available to any university, college or organization signing a Minerva licensing agreement. To date, six Canadian Engineering Schools have expressed their desire to become a licensee next year.
Individuals will also be able to register shortly on this website to gain access to one or more of the online courses.
The course content has been expertly developed using Minerva’s Teaching Modules, reviewed by Minerva academic and industry partners and designed by the University of Fredericton with its e-course specialists. These courses can be accessed with a user ID and password through the Minerva Learning Management System (LMS) or by having the program files downloaded on a university or college LMS.
Responses are provided to some of the following Frequently Asked Questions about the Minerva Canada program: (Please click on each question to see the answer)What are the benefits of eLearning?
- No Set schedule or deadlines. People can learn at their own pace, and at their own convenience.
- No waiting. The training is available on demand, 24/7.
- Progress evaluation during each course.
- Money spent wisely. Every training dollar goes to actual training instead of airfare and hotels.
- Consistency of training. Everyone receives the same information and the same high standard of training.
What is a Learning Management System (LMS)
What are the benefits to universities, colleges, organizations and individuals in subscribing to the Minerva eLearning courses and certificate program?
- Advances Health and Safety knowledge and real world learnings for post secondary students including those enrolled in University, College Engineering Schools, Engineering Technician, Technology, OHS, and Trades programs.
- Health and Safety course content aligned to meet Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) student attributes.
- Assists post secondary educators to teach Health and Safety with essential content, tools, learning options and with greater degree of confidence.
- Assists educators to address, overcome curriculum workload by integrating eLearning Courses into existing courses.
- Fills current education gap identified by industry In Health and Safety knowledge, skills from new hires entering the workplace.
- H&S certificate provides added asked for credentials for student resumes.
- Provides relevant health and safety content that employers can use to train their employees.
What are the features of Minerva’s H&S online certificate program and LMS?
- Online program will initially contains 4 courses of approximately 6 hours each complete with assignments and quizzes.
- Each course will contain several modules that address one or more of eight domains.
- Learning objectives are defined for each module.
- Content material integrates Minerva’s existing 26 Teaching Modules for the four online courses with added material provided to address some of the topics.
- More online courses and modules are planned to address other post secondary school curriculum needs (e.g. Business Schools), discipline specific programs etc.
- Minerva’s online courses will be hosted on a Learning Management System (LMS) that uses the latest in educational technology. Courses can also be downloaded on a university, college LMS platforms.
- Course design maximizes opportunities for interactivity and engagement for the learner with different exam questions for each learner.
- The Minerva Learning Management System includes reports for instructors on student users taking a particular module, completion progress, how well they’re doing and ease of transferring grades to their school records.
- Provides student privacy safeguards and accessible for students with disabilities or special needs.
- Modules are available on multiple devices and are cross-browser compatible to allow for access anywhere, anytime.
- Students are provided with a certificate upon completion of the four courses.
What are the eight domains or key focus areas of the Minerva eLearning Modules?
- Applied Safety Fundamentals.
- Hazard Analysis and Risk Management.
- Law, Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
- Safety Management, Leadership, Systems, Culture and Audits.
- Occupational Hygiene.
- Personal Safety, Health and Wellness.
- Ergonomics and Human Factors.
- Designing for Safety.
What modules are covered in each eLearning course and what other modules are under development?
- Health and Safety 101 and the Fundamentals.
- Hazards, Risks and Controls – an Introduction.
- Applying the above concepts, definitions, controls to
Laboratory Safety, Working at
- Hazard Identification.
- Risk Management.
- Codes, Standards, Regulations.
- Mental Health in the Workplace, Academia.
- Leadership and Management Systems.
- Incident Investigation, Causal Analysis.
- Professional Ethics.
- Hazard Identification (a continuation).
- Risk Management (a continuation).
- Codes (discussion of content contained in various codes).
- Human Factors.
- Incorporating Safety into Engineering Design.
- Business Case for Safety and Safety Leadership.
- Professional Ethics (a continuation).
Course 400 (under development)
- Hazard Identification (a continuation for capstone design).
- Risk Management (a continuation for capstone design).
- Risk Assessment Models
- Incorporating Safety into Engineering Design (a continuation).
- Safety Culture and Audits
- Selection of discipline specific modules (see below).
Discipline specific modules (under development)
- Management of Change.
- Emergency Preparedness, Risk Communications.
- Injury, illness, disease prevention.
- Job Hazard, Job Safety Analysis.
- Electrical Safety.
- Process Safety Management.
- Robotics Safety.
- Fisheries Safety.
- Mining Safety.
- Bio Risk.
- Nano Safety.
- Transportation Safety.
- Fire, Dust Hazards, Explosions.
- Construction Safety and Project Management.
- Agricultural Safety.
- Petroleum Safety.
How does someone access Minerva’s eLearning Courses?
Individuals will be given a user ID and password when their university, college, company or other organization becomes a licensee or when they register individually through the Minerva website. Procedures for this registration will be shown shortly on Minerva’s website.
What are the Minerva Canada licensing and eLearning course fees?
In 2020, students enrolled in a Canadian post secondary teaching institution and not having a Minerva Canada licensing agreement, can access each of Minerva Canada’s eLearning courses for a special discounted course fee of $200. per course. or $700. for all four courses.
For professional association members, company employees and others, please contact Minerva Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss available course fees based on group size.
Responses to all these questions can be found here.
Interested universities, colleges, professional associations, companies and other organizations can contact Minerva Canada for more information on the Minerva Canada certificate program, its eLearning courses, its licensing agreement and course fees.